Wednesday, 10 August 2011

the gift that kept giving

Last year for my birthday my mother-in-law gave me a copy of Sunday's Kitchen. She had purchased said copy at the Heide Museum and it was ever so special. Are you aware of this book, dear reader? It really is quite extraordinarily beautiful and packed with recipes and old photographs of Sunday Reid and family and friends and lovely arty folk Being Bohemian. At the time I had a friend who worked in our local cafe. N was very young (not much older than my son) but she and I both shared a love of baking and vintage clothing. We were always admiring each others 'get-ups' and talking recipes and N had mastered 50s make-up which I considered to be very impressive. Why, N,  (who was also a musician) even made a lemon tart one Saturday evening and dropped it over to Baxter Street on her way to a gig. It was sensational. (The tart that is, and probably the gig too). When I was presented with Sunday's Kitchen my first thought was 'Wow' and my second thought was 'I must show this to N'. So a few days later I popped into the cafe with the book. But N was on a day off. So I gave the book to another girl and said, 'This is the book I was telling N about. Can you please give it to her to read?' A few days later when I was back in the cafe (gosh this is a convoluted plot) N met me with such enthusiasm. She threw her arms around me and kissed me, thanking me profusely for the gorgeous book, chattering about how she knew nothing of Sunday Reid but now she was a devoted fan and yes! didn't Sunday always look stunning? Even when milking the cow?' Are you with me, dear reader? Do you glean the misunderstanding that was taking place? N thought I was giving her my beautiful new book. What could I do? I had a quick debate in my little noggin and I thought, 'Let the poor darling have it.' How could I possibly embarrass her by pointing out her faux pas? Especially as she was so young. I would have been mortified by such a folly at her age. And so it was that I said 'Cheerio' to Sunday before I had really got to know her. N has since moved cities and we have lost contact. But I like to believe that Sunday's Kitchen takes pride of place in her new share house and adds a touch of domestic glamour to what might otherwise be dreary student digs. As for my mother-in-law, well, I have had to tell her a few white lies too. Tis a complex web we weave, dear reader, when all we want to do is please. xx
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. it's true! she did! even milking the cow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    This book sounds so lovely that I've added it to my wish list at amazon.com
    Thanks for sharing!
    -H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that N needed it more than you this time around. Sometimes things work out for the best in mysterious ways. She will never forget you where ever she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jen; this is so funny, I would have acted just like you,
    there is no way in the world to correct a misunderstanding under such circumstances.
    Let´s hope now that "N" and your mother-in-law don´t read this blogpost!

    Get a new copy of that book and make sure that you have one or two pieces of lemon tart ....
    Much love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...